Sunday, March 21, 2010

Going to race

In the sport of cycling it’s easy to get distracted and forget what the sport is all about. Starting last October I started training with a power meter, in many ways it has helped my training but at the same time it has been a distraction. As a first timer with a power meter I got so sucked into the numbers that I became like a robot and rode only off the numbers I was seeing on the power screen and on my computer. I became so ingrained in the power program that I sometimes wouldn’t listen to my body and was solely riding to please the computer program which I download my power files to.
As I step back and realize how I have become what I once pitied, I find myself at a transitional point in the cycling season. The majority of training is over and the racing is here, so from this point forward I will be taking a new approach to an old school method. I am continuing to ride with a power meter, but am taking a vouch to ride with courage and guts rather than numbers and graphs. The next two months in Europe are bound to be some of the hardest races I have ever done, but I’m planning on being the aggressive one. Nothing comes from being a follower and racing with pride is an attitude that creates success. Weather I have the fitness or not I will give everything I can to be in the front of the race, because you have to risk losing to win.

Ian singing off from the San Francisco Airport on my way to Europe

1 comment:

Kamille Delgardo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.